Monday, May 9, 2016

Week 69: It Sure was Great Talking with the Family Sunday!

It sure was great talking with the family Sunday. Boy has everyone changed a ton. It is amazing to me how much everything changes while you're out on your mission. Thanks everyone for the updates! 

I had a few fun experiences over the week. One of which included reorganizing my stuff. My companion has really set the example for me in so many things. He washes his clothes by hand and so I am trying to do the same. It's a habit I hope to keep while on my mission.

We received the light bill early on this week. I was surprised to find out that my prior companion had not paid our light bill for the last three months and it ended up costing about $100. I assumed that I'd be the one to pay the bill, seeing as how Elder O. has only been in the area for one month, but he insisted on paying. Of course he will get reimbursed for this expense, but it usually takes a week or two to receive the reimbursement money so it was a totally nice gesture. I should start making him breakfast more often as a thank you.

We had a wonderful experience Friday. Elder Duncon, a counselor to our mission president, spoke to our mission on the subject of faith unto repentance. The reunion was about 4 hours long, and was really inspiring. Elder Ochoa shared a personal experience he had as a youth. He told his uncle that he no longer wanted to attend school but wanted to work for him the following year. After much debating his uncle agreed to hire him for one year. About three days into his rigorous new job he went to his uncle with a change of heart asking to quit. His uncle was furious and told him not to be a coward. He reminded him that he had agreed to work for one year and if he quit now he would be a coward in everything he did. His uncle continued, “If you don't want to do this for you, do it for me. Be a man and fulfill your promise.” Elder Ochoa says to this day he still fears receiving a lecture from his uncle. Strong words of counsel were given to us that day.

Well gotta go, love you all!
Elder Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment