Monday, April 25, 2016

Week 67: My Companion Leads by Example

I was a little nervous for changes this time around what with me staying in an area for the first time instead of being the new Elder in the area. When a new elder comes to an area, whether he is junior or senior companion, he expects his companion who has had some time in the area to show him everything, which totally makes sense. I had some pretty good plans for the first two days. Then soon after that I ran out of ideas. Leading out can be harder than it sounds. But we made it through the week and had some good experiences together.

My new companion Elder R is from Nicaragua and he is the same age as me, actually I'm like 20 days older than him!
Elder DLC and I made sure that we deep cleaned the house before changes, and compared to how it was the house looked great. Well first thing Elder R does upon arriving is clean up the house. I pitched in as best I could, but he really went to town. It really is spotless now, even the fridge looks brand new. That really impressed me about him, seeing as it wasn't his mess. He could have just told me what needed to be done and I would have done it. But he lead out in cleaning our living space. Really impressed by this guy.

Elder R has been a district leader for the majority of his mission, which is nothing new for him. But he also has been serving outside of the capital for about 11 months now. He was shocked at how we contact here in the city. I remember how things were in Zacapa so I understand his concern. Everyone outside the capital is so inviting and even if they aren't interested they will listen to you share your message. Well that is not how things work here. We go from door to door, and about half of the people won't even come out to tell you no. They just shout at you, no we don't want anything. But despite this challenge that comes with contacting (tracting), it still works on occasion. We were fortunate enough to meet someone who was willing to listen when we were tracting this week. He said to come back around 5:00 PM since they were eating lunch. We did and he heard us out. I was pleased to have a new investigator our first day together. It really brightened my spirit.

We talked with the bishop early on in the week to see what he would like us to focus on and in our conversation he brought up how several baptisms have taken place over the years but soon after the missionaries leave these new converts go inactive. So we have the new goal to activate these converts as well as as many less actives as we can. I am sure that as we do so many more new investigators will come.

We also had a really good surprise Sunday morning. A mother and two daughters came to church and stayed the whole 3 hrs. The funny thing is we have never seen them before. As far as I could gather they we curious about our church so decided to come check us out. We couldn't get a clear address from her, but she gave us two telephone numbers were we could get in contact with them. So sometime next week we have planned to find this golden family and teach them the gospel.

Even though my companion is going home in 3 months, he aloud me to lead out in the majority of our lessons, which was a first for me. It was nerve racking to begin, but I soon got the hang of it. By the end of the week we were taking turning leading out and we seem to be a good team. We went running early one morning which felt great, but have failed to repeat the exercise these last few days. We both want to be healthier but boy is it hard to get up those 30 mins early to keep on schedule.

Well that's about all I can remember from the week. Elder R writes in his journal daily. I think I might start up that good habit too. 

Much love ya'll,
Elder Perez
This is the cookie dough Elder Perez's sister sent him.
Elder Perez your peanut butter cookies look wonderful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment