Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 62: We Have Been Busy!!

We had something funny happen here. Last Friday the students from San Carlos University of Guatemala celebrated what’s called “La Huelga de Todos los Dolores” (translation, “The Strike of All The Pain”). It's where anyone and everyone can say and do almost anything they want (using banners and floats the students manifest their criticism against the government, the Congress, state agencies and officials who have been involved in scandals.) The commercial street was full of protesters to the government and a ton of people were out to watch the fun. People set off a bunch of fireworks behind the presidential building and there were big bombs too that made a huge noise. I have no idea how stuff like this is aloud. There was also a clown parade and a bunch of people shouting and cracking jokes at anyone and everyone's defects.

As of this last week I've been playing piano every night to prepare better for Sunday. Some hymns are harder than others, but I get by. My companion got curious the second night of piano practiced and requested I teach him without really teaching him. He likes a song I play and had me teach him the beginning of the song. He doesn't want to learn how to read music or theory. Just wants to play that one song. So far it sounds good. I think he will have to learn some basic scales at the least if he wants to play this song well.

Let's see the work, it's been busy for us because my companion is our district leader so we have been busy every night filling out other areas information and what not. I actually don't do much, but it looks like a lot of work to be in charge of six other Elders. A bunch of missionaries have baptisms this Saturday so this week is going to be a busy one. Elder DLC has to do the interviews so we get to go see all the other areas of our zone. We also have a baptism this Saturday!! A youth of 11 anos (years old). He is a really good kid. We have been working with his whole family and they all are promising, but for now the kid is the only one who is going to be baptized. The sister that was baptized last week is doing well. She is an angel as usual and such a faithful soul. She has expressed concern for her kids and grandchildren so we've gone and visited them to see what we can do for them.

We had a few interesting experiences throughout the week. On the way home Tuesday night a car pulled up beside us and a man in tears told us he was a member. He asked us to offer a prayer for him and his wife who was not a member. He said he had served a mission and he always felt Christ's love during those happier years. We offered the prayer and gave him some counsel. After exchanging numbers we parted ways. It turns out that this man had been watching us for some time and finally worked up the courage to approach us. It made me feel good to have been able to help.

A few days later we got a call from some sister missionaries from Georgia with a reference for us. Didn't know we could send references across countries! The address was actually just outside of our area so we forwarded the contact to the right Elders.

I’m sorry I don't have any photos to send you. It's a little dangerous to carry my camera around everywhere so when there is a good photo moment we ask the members to take a pic with there camera. I am waiting on them to forward the pictures to my email. I am still waiting on my birthday package to arrive. I don’t know how much time I will have to wait but it might be a month more.

The next big thing to happen here is the processions for Easter. That should be big here too. Love you all, have a great Easter and happy general conference here soon! I will be thinking about all of you.

Much love,
Elder Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment