Monday, October 26, 2015

Week 41: We Made a Lot of Contacts and Taught a Few People

 I’m on a faster computer this week so it will be easier for me to write you all.  Hey! I got your guys Christmas package last Tuesday. Huge, huge, surprise! Wow, Boy did I have to fight myself not to open it.
My Christmas Package Came Already!
Thanks as always for the updates. I love hearing about how the family is doing, although sometimes I wish I could be there participating with you all in those celebrations, as well as offering words of comfort to our loved ones in pain. I know God is looking out for you all, so my heart takes comfort in that.

Halloween is kind of controversial here in Guatemala because it’s viewed as satanic to a lot of the religions here, so our ward is just doing a free car wash, which includes a tour of the church. A member told me the other day that he wishes they would celebrate Halloween here, but it’s just too dangerous to do so. A lot of crazy drunks and people with bad intentions I guess. Though the Walmart here does sell Halloween decorations, I doubt I will see too many trick or treaters out on Halloween night. Hope all goes well with the trunk or treat, and the living back home thing as well.

I went on several divisions this week with different members. It was fun to be in charge. We made a lot of contacts and even taught a few people. I felt we did well. The area here is very rich and members are asking when we can come over for dinner and such things. The apartment we live in has hot water and even a washer. It’s the first time I’ve had a washer in our apartment so I am pretty content.

Things have been a roller coaster for me here. I am a lot more quite now with the other missionaries, maybe because half our district is sisters, so that’s intimidating in its own way. But hopefully with my two outgoing companions leaving, I will be more myself. I am not quite over the death of my friend, maybe because we missionaries don’t really get any closure. I see the family grieving and the next day they ship me out. I probably won’t be able to see them until the end of my mission. I found an article at a member’s house that talked more about this young man. I asked if I could keep it. Maybe I shouldn’t have kept it, but I feel as if I could have helped out the family a little bit more.

I know that Christ has overcome all things and that through honest faith and action in his teaching I can become stronger. I enjoy the work I am in, even if I don’t get to make all the decisions from day to day. It is a humbling experience, this mission, and I am excited to see just what sort of a man I will become as I let the Lord work through me.

I have been with Elder C and Elder DLC in a trio. We have had fun times together just the three of us. We just officially received our changes. My two companions are leaving for another area and I am the only one staying here in Nueva Florida, but tomorrow I get a brand new companion. I’m staying in the same place I have been for the last few weeks at least for the next month and a half, so things should be calm and smooth as far as gangs go. We don’t really have much to worry about here because everyone is rich. I guess I get to lead out, at least for these next few weeks. It’s funny because I don’t have a clue where to begin. I have never been anywhere long enough to feel confident about leading another missionary around the area. I am nervous to be leading out for a change, but the ward is super kind and helpful. I am pretty happy with the help we have been getting from the ward, they are all very nice and a few even speak English to me while I respond in Spanish, it’s pretty cool. We will see how it goes. 

Well, tomorrow I find out who this mystery companion number 6 will be.

Got to go, love you all!
Elder Perez
Elder C saying goodbye. He's a character.
Elder DLC following Elder C's lead. Elder Perez's mother feels like hyperventilating every time she looks at these pictures.
Elder C & Elder DLC are packed and ready to go
Cool Fruit
It really rained hard that day. 
The sisters were not happy about it ):

No comments:

Post a Comment