Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 38: I Loved General Conference.

I’m glad to read about the family happenings, although I wish I could be there participating with you all in those celebrations as well as consoling our loved ones in pain. I know God is looking out for you all though, so my heart takes comfort in that.

So this week was a little crazy. We had a multi-zone conference with President Crapo and his wife just Thursday. We of course had our Wednesday zone meeting to prepare us for Thursday’s meeting, then our planning meeting Friday as usual, so we were instructed all week long! Then with conference to boot we barely had any time to be missionaries this week. Despite that we have run into some new families and hope to start teaching them early this week.


Conference was great. I loved the talk given by President Uchtdorf during the Saturday session. He talked about work and his words were really comforting and encouraging to me. I can’t really remember why, lol. Well at any rate, all of it was good. Priesthood session was really good as well. The closing remarks of President Monson were short and sweet, "Keep the commandments." That’s all there is to it! They were simple words, but have a profound meaning, especially for us missionaries. Another fun thing about conference, I had bought and saved a few treats for conference so I enjoyed several little American goodies all throughout those two days! It was soooo hard for me to save the treats. I also bought half a wood roasted chicken for the session and three Elders and I had a mini feast, which was great. 



Another reason I loved conference; I was very happy to be able to talk with a fellow American between the sessions. My companion and I don’t often participate in the zone activities due to our busy schedules so when I do get the chance to sit down and really talk to someone in English it is a real treat. The other English speaking Elder and I were the only two gringos (white guys) in our stake center so that was pretty fun. The other gringos (whites) were in the neighboring stake church building. There were several members that came to listen to the conference in English with us, bless their hearts. They knew a little bit of English and wanted to be instructed directly from the prophet’s mouth without translation. They started nodding off soon after the second speaker started. I am sure I would have had similar difficulties listening in Spanish.

Believe it or not I have nearly everything necessary here in Guatemala. There is a Walmart and a few super markets that sell American goods. I have money of my own to buy things such as socks shirts and pants. And I am pretty resourceful here and have already had my shoes repaired by a local. I will let you know if I can’t find anything though.

I have been making sacrifices over these last few months to save up mission money as has been instructed and I finally have the desired 850 quetzals emergency fund savings! I am super happy about that even though that’s not more than 105 dollars give or take a few dollars. I have found that I can really live on less and don’t have to buy treats or snacks from the stores every meeting as the other missionaries do, this little form of self-sacrifice has helped me a lot.

I sure do love you all and can’t wait for our little Christmas chat here in a few months. Give everyone a big hug for me!

Much love,
Your son

To watch Elder Uchdorf's talk, given at the Saturday Morning Session of General Conference, that Elder Perez referred to click on the link below.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/it-works-wonderfully?lang=eng

To watch our prophet President Thomas S. Monson's talk, given at the General Priesthood Session, that Elder Perez referred to click on the link below.


To watch any of the General Conference Sessions and listen to what the Lord's modern Prophet and Apostles have to say click on the link below.



No comments:

Post a Comment