Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 31: I Shared Your Conversion Story Mom

My companion and I are working hard here. Dad you mentioned that for many, modern-day science has become the "idle" that has replaced God. I ran into such a man just yesterday who has taken the lessons, read the Book of Mormon and Bible, yet just will not believe in God. He has never read a book more than once and unfortunately only sees them as biblical and religious teachings.

One story I really want to share with you is super cool. We started teaching a 17 year old less active girl whose mother is Catholic. The girl doesn’t attend church because her mom forbids it. I was able to share your conversion story with her and it seemed to touch her. She looked more confident after hearing of your bravery and the mission you later served. She wants to do likewise and be bold but loving with her mother. I also had her read 1 Nephi 1:1 and insert her own name in place of the name of the prophet Nephi’s and the word “mother” instead of father.

1 Nephi 1:1 
“1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, ...” 

I explained that her mother is trying her best and that she is really fortunate to have been born in her circumstances. I then had her read 1 Nephi 3:7 and asked that she do the same as before.

1 Nephi 3:7

 “7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” It really seemed to ring true to her."

It turns out my last companion Elder T is in my zone so I rallied the troops, and our entire zone threw him a birthday party. It was super fun and we all had a good time. I was happy he had a proper party.

I love my area here because it is next to my first area I served in! I do miss Zacapa though; I miss the people there as well as the food. The food is tasty here in zone 18 but it often makes you sick. Not to say that you wouldn’t get sick off the food in Zacapa, it’s just that the food in Zacapa was worth getting sick over.

The weather here is very cold to me, just because I became accustom to the heat of Zacapa, plus it has started raining here over the last few days. The worst part about the cold comes every morning when I have to shower!! We don’t have heated water!!! Practically everyone here does but us. I don’t know why we don’t but I hate showering now!! Before in Zacapa the heat was so intense that the cold water felt very good and enjoyable, it was a nice way to beat the heat. Here NO....

Alexis I am so very excited about your having a baby in a few months!! I talk about you every time I see a little baby. I say, “My sister is pregnant with her 3rd right now.” “Oh does she live far from here? They reply... Ha, I am actually blending in at times!!

That is all for now.
Much Love,
Elder Perez
Oregonian Elders!!!!
Happy Birthday Elder T!!!
Elder Perez is blessed to have fun missionaries in his zone.
It must be a tradition to break an egg 
on the birthday persons head in Guatemala.
Luckily most of it didn't get on his head.
Enjoying the festivities. (:
Food brings unity.
We forgot candles so we improvised 
and lit a bunch of matches. 
GOAL!!, we got the matches to light!
Good thing they didn't burn the cake and the building down.


No comments:

Post a Comment