Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 30: I Am Now Serving in Paraiso 1 Zone 18!!

I am now serving in Paraiso 1 zone 18, like a five minute walk from Alameda, the first area I served in! Elder C from Chile is my companion. He is such a good example to me and I truly feel as if we will help bring about miracles to Paraiso 1.

The Paraiso 1 ward meets in the same building as Alameda!!!! Alameda meets downstairs, we meet upstairs. It is a good size ward for here. And I have met a ton of new people this last week! Many kids have begun asking for words in English and we announced the piano class idea to the ward, many sound interested! Hopefully we will combine with the Elders of Alameda to teach ever Saturday at 10 am for one hour. It is a big project but I am confident we can be successful.



I must admit I was sad to leave La Reforma and saying goodbye to those we were teaching was a bitter sweet experience. That next morning I left for the capital feeling hopeful and on the bus ride over I had a wonderful experience. About 15 minutes into the 3 hour ride a man got on the bus and sat beside me. I greeted him and we struck up a conversation. It was casual and friendly and it wasn’t until about 7 minutes into our conversation that I brought up the gospel. It was a nice relaxing break from other rushed contacts I was used to giving due to lack of time and others busy schedules. It turns out that this man had lived in Canada for around 8 months for work and while he was there he was taught about Nephi by two faithful Elders up North. I began teaching him about the story of Nephi and briefly explained the Book of Mormon. I could really feel the spirit as we talked. His questions were sincere and my answers usually included a scripture. It was amazing how I felt so confident and at ease despite my difficulties with Spanish. By the end of our discussion which addressed at least 3 of his biggest concerns about our church, I decided to share one more scripture with him.

Mosiah 18:8-10
"8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?"


Much thanks to Lauren who shared this scripture with me in a letter while she was serving in New Mexico, I love you sis!!! It fit in perfectly with what we had been talking about and so I explained baptism to him and what this covenant really means for each member of our faith. The spirit was strong and tears were brought to my eyes as I promised him that if he chose to be baptized in our faith that his life, his family, and all around him would be blessed beyond measure. We exchanged information and it turns out that my new found friend lives in Alameda, but often travels outside of the capital for work. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I would be serving in an area right next to where he lives. I called the missionaries in his area and gave them his contact information. I am excited to hear if they have success.


Love you all,

Elder Perez
Elder Perez saying goodbyes to Bishop
from the Zacapa ward & his family, 
his companion Elder T, and a ward member.
Elder T, Ward Member, Elder Perez up close and personal.
Elder Perez's new companion from Chile!!!
(Message to 3yr old nephew), Uncle Brenden is still taking Umi Zoomi car with him to his new areas.
Elder Perez and his companion helped
a member paint a room in their house.
Next is what came to my mind as I saw each picture.
It doesn't have to stink.
It doesn't have to be boring...
You don't have to hide from working.
When you get worn out just take a break.
Have fun!!!...
and you will end up with something to proud of!!!!
The POWER of NUTELLA!!!...
When you SHARE.
You know you are confident and happy when you can have fun on a playground and you don't worry 
what people think of you.
I bet you never thought a slide could be comfortable.
Rain on a bright summer day?
More Rain!!!
Hail! It burns us!! 
as Gollum from Lord of the Rings: Twin Towers said.
They made sure to go out prepared next time.
Elder Perez's goofy companion, ha ha ha!
It helps him focus while he's talking to the zone leaders. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment